Wednesday, May 28, 2008

On my First Month of Orientation

One thing I love about my hospital is that we have a very good orientation program. Having been exposed to Quality Systems Management while I was in PI, I could see my hospital addressing the elements of a quality system. And knowing so, I have the confidence to voice out any dissatisfaction in a constructive manner, for purposes of quality improvement (it is always a good reason) which will have patient satisfaction as an end-result.

First week of my training was spent working on my competencies, mainly the paperwork. Second week, I had my Basic EKG interpretation training, a prerequisite (aside from BLS- Basic Life Support) for ACLS, which I took and passed yesterday (yehey). Of course I have been going on duty with my wonderful preceptor. Whoever told me ER nurses here ate their young, well, I do not see that happening. I have the most wonderful preceptor (even better than the one I had in rehab, I would say). I'd say we do have a good chemistry. I had exposure in the triage room, and I actually am contemplating on sending copies of the triage flow diagram back to the Philippines for nurses to learn. I had a case of AMI (acute myocardial infarction) on my first day there, which was the highlight of my day.

Next I should sign up for PALS (Pediatric Advance Life Support), then sometime before the end of my first year, I plan to have the TNCC (Trauma Nursing Core Curriculum, if I remember it right) at least.

I have been trying to involve my kids to at least know how to do basic CPR...I gave them a lecture before, along with video viewing, several months ago. Yesterday, I kinda gave them a quiz, asking them what to do if they see me on the floor unconscious and unresponsive...Ben gave the best answer, then I recounted to them how they should approach it.

I told them they might someday consider ER nursing, but then I said they might not like seeing blood and what not, but both the boys seem not to fear that at all...hmmmm...we surely need more male nurses...

I will sign up for ENA (Emergency Nurses Association) on the next payday.

No comments: