Saturday, January 15, 2011

Hives again part 2

Yesterday, after stopping my clindamycin and taking the first dose of prednisone 60 mg, I had high hopes the hives would subside. However, the apparent improvement on my chest was short-lived. Last night, despite my Benadryl (both before bedtime and at 330am), I found it hard to sleep. I itched everywhere. That same itch that prevented me from sleeping good. I got up at 530 am to subject my arms to hot water treatment. I had a few hours of relief after that, although my legs kept itching. My skin was sensitive everywhere even to cotton clothes. When I got up this morning, my neck and my face were red again. I took a hot shower to "scratch" my skin without traumatizing. It dawned on me that I could possibly be allergic to prednisone as ell. Good thing I blogged about my first bad case, wherein I was also just treated with cephalexin and prednisone when I developed very itchy rashes. I could rule out it was not cephalexin that caused it because I had no history of allergy to cephalexin, and that a second treatment course of cephalexin without the prednisone actually led to resolution of the swelling I had in my arms that time. The remainder of my skin healing depended on keeping it moist and applying vaseline petroleum jelly for barrier.

So, now I am thinking, after discontinuing my clindamycin yesterday, maybe I should hold off on the prednisone for now and see if I get better without it. I will continue with Benadryl instead. Type here

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nin Jiom Pei Pa Koa (www.geocities.jp/ninjiom_hong_kong/index_e.htm) may be another solution to itchy throat. i know a lot of people use it, its also non alcoholic, though it's effectiveness is not as good as alcohol based cough medicine, but it's still good to use on not so serious itchy throat. Hope you are getting well soon!!!